The Game Creator Pro is a full development environment for authoring 8-bit games and is built on top of the open source Pixel Vision SDK framework. It contains project management, asset creation, and coding/debugging tools. This all in one solution enables complete end to end development allowing anyone to create desktop games, share them and even build custom tools.
Pixel Vision 8: Game Creator supports the following features:
- Loading, playing and editing of .pv8 (Games), .pvs (System Templates) and .pvt (Tools) files.
- Create games in Lua with an easy to learn API optimized for tile based games.
- Open workflow, allowing you to edit game code (Lua), art (png) or system limits (JSON) with an external editor.
- Build tools for PV8 to fit your workflow and needs.
- Easily share games with others as .pv8 (.zip) files.
- Fully featured color editor. Preview your project's colors, modify them and save them to an external png.
- Sprite preview tool allows you to see the sprites stored in memory and compress existing sprites into an external .png.
- SFX generator for making your own sound effects in game projects. You'll have access to templates for different sound effects with manual SFX property customization coming soon.
- Music generation tools for creating chiptune music and randomly generating songs for developers new to making music for their games.
- A full tilemap editor that allows you to preview, modify and export your tilemap for your games or to load in an external editor such as Tiled.
- Exclusive demos, game source code and more.
Pixel Vision 8 Pro is currently still in development and offered as part of a paid early access program.
Looking for the free version or to pay monthly? Check out the Fantasy Console Club membership packages.