I know it's been a while since I've given everyone on here an update about the progress on Pixel Vision 8 v0.9.4. I've been working on this update for about two months now. My goal is to finally tie up all the loose ends when it comes to the sound, music, sprite, and tilemap tools. While I try to push out smaller monthly builds, I decided to take the time I need to make sure that these core systems are fleshed out and working correctly.
I usually post a lot of my updates to the @pixelvision8
twitter account but if you don't follow it, here are some highlights from the past few weeks:
You can now assign wave types to each audio channel in the System Tool:
This allows you to have more accurate simulations for older consoles or to create your own limitations.
The sprite editor now supports selecting multiple sprites to edit with the new size button.
You can scale the canvas from 1 x 1, 2 x 2, or 4 x 4. That gives you a maximum canvas of 64 x 64 pixels. In addition, you can now preview the colors used in the current sprite and get a better sense for how PV8's parser will read the sprite data when it comes to the colors per sprite cap.
You now have a visual indicator as to where the cursor is on the canvas to make it easier to draw plus you can drag and drop sprites to rearrange or edit them on the canvas.
Also, you can use keyboard shortcuts to switch between the tools.
Finally, I've been reworking the tilemap tool. I've cleaned up the UI, expanded the canvas area, so you have more room to work.
I know these updates have been taking a while but I think you'll agree they are worth it when I am ready to release v0.9.4. Right now I'm in the process of refactoring the item picker shared between the sprite and tilemap editors. Once this is done I should have a better sense on when I can release all these changes. Hoping to have it done this month or next month by the latest.